The Graphics Designer will support the Bureau of Political-Military Affairs (PM) and Global Defense Reform Program (GDRP) by collaborating with a diverse team of Foreign Policy Experts, Data Scientists, Public Affairs Officers and Budget Analysts to help build creative solutions for a variety of digital and print materials.
- Help team members convey insights and engage the viewer on foreign policy options and decisions, budgetary considerations and tradeoffs, complex data derived from the Bureau’s global presence and activities and strategic messaging for Bureau initiatives
- Develop communications strategies for presenting various forms of numerical information (foreign aid data, budget planning options, strategic tradeoff, etc.) as compelling visuals that tell narratives, not numbers
- Working with office directors and other stakeholders, develop professional and modern visual design guidelines for the Bureau’s visual brand, to include slide deck templates, color palettes, charts, maps, logos, iconography and typesetting
- Educate fellow employees on how to use custom designed templates, placemat and other products.
- Engage with our data analytics team to design visually compelling products that translate complex, numerical analysis into compelling visuals
- Conceptualize and design custom visual solutions for internal offices and their initiatives and projects
- Design layouts, infographics, branding and graphics that incorporate iconography, illustrations, photography and typography
- Use Adobe Suite and Microsoft applications to create custom solutions that meet specific project needs
- Manage multiple projects and concurrent deliverables in order to meet deadlines
- Communicate concepts, rationale and creative direction to internal teams
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Secret Security Clearance required
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Fine Arts or related field and 5+ years of relative work experience.
- Experience in the visual representation of complex data and strong online portfolio of client work.
- Must be detail-orientated and methodical.
- Independent worker with great self-management skills.
- Expertise in Adobe® Creative Suite applications (especially Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including but not limited to, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Excel.
- Excellent writing skills
- Keen eye for detail
- Passion and skill for visual storytelling
- Strong presentation, communications and analytical skills
- Ability to work on multiple issue areas and projects concurrently
- A background in foreign policy, national security, politics, or a related field; or a basic understanding of such concepts; or previous graphic design work in such fields
- Experience in social media
- Experience in translating and visually communicating insights derived from Tableau dashboards
- Certificates in MS Office, or other industry standard qualifications
Work is typically based in a busy office environment and subject to frequent interruptions. Business work hours are Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm, however, some extended or weekend hours may be required. Travel to austere environments may also be required.
May be required to lift and carry awkward items weighing up to 25 lbs. Requires intermittent standing, walking, sitting, squatting, stretching and bending throughout the workday. Additional specific details related to physical requirements may be outlined in the Company’s Performance Work Statement or Contract with the client.