The Senior Advisor shall act as the trusted guide for the MLED/MLC. The Senior Advisor shall provide technical assistance and expert guidance and advise the MLED/MLEC to execute the Country Action Plan. The strategic/operational-level Maritime Domain Awareness Senior Advisor shall work with the MLED and Maritime Law Center to establish a strategic Country Action Plan to address the identified core competencies required to enable a professional, ready MLED/MLC capable of defending its territorial integrity and effectively monitoring, patrolling, and enforcing its laws in its EEZ. The Senior Advisor shall enhance Palau’s maritime governance by strengthening the core maritime safety and security competencies within the ministry and MLED/MLC, including personnel readiness and professionalization, small boat maintenance and logistics, and maritime law enforcement strategy and policy.
- Closely track progress against the aforementioned Work Plan and Country Action Plan, both of which are to be captured in the monthly progress reports.
- The GDRP Program Office (specifically the M&E Advisor) is responsible for providing guidance on the development and maintenance of the Performance Monitoring Framework; however, the Senior Advisor shall work with the GDRP Program Office to determine the specific objectives, as well as the frequency of data collection and definition for each indicator in the corresponding framework.
- The Senior Advisor shall begin data collection for all M&E indicators, as provided by GDRP Program Office, following award of the contract. Data collection shall be conducted on a regular and continuing basis from the time that each Performance Monitoring Framework is approved until the task order is completed.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- US Citizenship
- Department of State Secret Clearance
- Masters degree in one of the following or similar subject area: Security Studies, Criminal Justice, Public Policy, International Relations or a similar field AND at least six (6) years of professional experience working in maritime security and maritime law enforcement OR Bachelor’s degree in the aforementioned subject areas AND at least TEN (10) years of prior professional experience working in maritime security and maritime law enforcement.
- Must have reached at minimum, the rank of O-5 in the military or equivalent (i.e. FS-02/GS-14) in civilian capacity.
- Five (5) years of experience as a strategic planner and interagency coordinator, with demonstrated experience in assisting partner nations with drafting and implementing national-level strategies and relevant policies and procedures and assisting with national security frameworks.
- Two (2) years of experience working with senior foreign military leaders or senior foreign government officials.
- Proven success in individual and organizational capacity building and aptitude to share knowledge, mentor, and coach others.
- One (1) year prior experience working with the US State Department, whether domestic with overseas Embassies, Consulates, or missions as well as international counterparts and donors working in small island developing states.
- Experience advising senior foreign military or senior foreign government officials.
- Reached rank of O-6 in the US Coast Guard or equivalent (i.e. FS-01/GS-15) in a civilian capacity.
- Experience working with senior foreign military or senior foreign government officials in the Pacific Island region.
- Experience working with maritime and/or environmental issues relation to the Pacific Islands, to include but not limited to maritime domain awareness, maritime security and governance, climate adaptation and mitigation and disaster response.
Work is typically based in a busy office environment and subject to frequent interruptions. Business work hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, however some extended or weekend hours may be required.
May be required to lift and carry awkward items weighing up to 25 lbs. Requires intermittent standing, walking, sitting, squatting, stretching, and bending throughout the workday.