The Senior Advisor shall provide expert guidance and advise the work of the VMSA so that the VMSA and its partner agencies can better manage, coordinate, and implement maritime security.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Advisor’s focus shall be on:
- Working with the VMSA to identify key process issues, opportunities for improvement, and assistance in streamlining processes related to maritime security information sharing and interagency coordination.
- Assessing the VMSA’s maritime domain awareness capabilities and capacity viability of and identify additional training, resources, and procedures that would enhance Vanuatu’s capacity to monitor its territorial waters and exclusive economic zone.
- Working with the VMSA to implement strategies and policies identified to strengthen maritime domain awareness, professionalization of the force, and command and control.
- Enhancing coordination and cooperation among partner agencies that comprise the maritime security apparatus to promote interagency cooperation and improve information sharing and maritime security governance.
- The Senior Advisor shall act as the trusted advisor for the VMSA and will update the Political Section and Defense Attaché Office (DAO) at Embassy Port Moresby as appropriate. The Regional Security Officer as well as other officials at Embassy Port Moresby may also require briefings and updates.
- Where other barriers to institutional change with regards to strategic planning exist, the Senior Advisor will work to identify those barriers, make recommendations to the VMSA and other policymakers to overcome them, and, where possible, work to address them in support of the desired end state.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS for one (1) Senior Advisor (Vanuatu)
- Master’s degree in one of the following or a similar subject area: Security Studies, Criminal Justice, Public Policy, International Relations or a similar field AND at least six (6) years of professional experience working in maritime security, maritime law enforcement, or maritime safety.
- Bachelor’s degree in the aforementioned areas AND at least TEN (10) years of prior professional experience working in the above specialized discipline(s).
- Must have reached, at a minimum, the rank of O-5 in the military, U.S. Coast Guard, or equivalent (i.e. FS-02/GS-14) in a civilian capacity.
- Five (5) years of experience as a strategic planner and interagency coordinator, with demonstrated experience in assisting partner nations with drafting and implementing national-level strategies and relevant policies and procedures and assisting with national security frameworks.
- Two (2) years of experience advising foreign military or senior government officials, specifically in small island developing states.
- Proven success in individual and organizational capacity building and aptitude to share knowledge, mentor and coach others.
- One (1) year prior experience working with the U.S. State Department, whether domestic or with overseas Embassies, Consulates, or missions as well as international counterparts and donors (such as Australia).
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance issued by the Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DCSA) prior to contract/task order performance.
- U.S. citizen.
PREFERRED Qualifications for one (1) Senior Advisor
- Experience advising senior foreign military or senior foreign government officials.
- Reached the rank of O-6 in the military, in the U.S. Coast Guard, or equivalent (i.e. FS-01/GS-15) in a civilian capacity.
- Experience working with senior foreign military or senior foreign government officials in the Pacific Islands region.
- Experience working with maritime and/or environmental issues relating to the Pacific Islands, to include but not limited to maritime domain awareness, maritime security and governance, climate adaptation and mitigation, and disaster response.
Constellis offers a comprehensive, total rewards package that includes competitive compensation and a flexible benefits package that reflect its commitment to creating a diverse and supportive workplace.
Work is typically based in a busy office environment and subject to frequent interruptions. Work outside and in inclement weather conditions may be required. Business work hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, however some extended hours may be required.
May be required to lift and carry awkward items weighing up to 25 lbs. Requires intermittent standing, walking, sitting, squatting, stretching and bending throughout the workday.