ADVANCED DRIVER TRAINING- HIWAY SAFETY
Duration: 1 Days
Over 40,000 people are killed each year on our nation’s roads in motor vehicle collisions. Ninety percent of these mishaps are due in some part to driver error. Through the advanced highway driver course, students will reduce the chances of being involved in a collision.
The Advanced Driver Training course focuses on the ability to systematically control the position and speed of the vehicle in a smooth and safe fashion. The course will enhance skills learned in existing driver education courses or through years of driving experience to coordinate vehicle handling skills with mental concentration, anticipation and planning. The training day emphasizes a minimum of classroom instruction with the primary focus being in-vehicle practical application using ACADEMI-provided training vehicles. Skills discussed in the classroom will be applied on the track using various drills designed to have the student experience multiple weight transfers, corrective skid control measures and the use of multiple traction environments.
AIM-To teach the student to use observation, planning and vehicle-handling skills to respond effectively to any hazardous situation that might arise during highway driving.
- Understanding instinctive response
- Driver reaction
- Controlling sensory input
- Proper use of the eyes
- Steering wheel management
- Proper body position
- Emergency braking techniques (ABS and non-ABS)
- Weight transfer control
- Anticipatory driving
- Correct tire inflation pressure
- Straight-line braking
- Braking and turning/turning and braking
- Multiple lane-avoidance drills
- Instinctive reaction drills (surprise)
- Distracted driver skills
- Off-road recovery drills
- Skid control on skid pad
- Highway-speed driving techniques
- Current, valid drivers license
- Clothing appropriate for climate and conditions
- A water bottle or other hydration system
Method of instruction
Ten percent classroom instruction and 90 percent in-vehicle training including high-G maneuvers.
Valid driver’s license (if less than 18 years of age, parent or guardian must be on-site).